December 19, 2011

Review: Blood on Silk by Marie Treanor

Sunday, December 18, 2011



Blood on Silk (Awakened by Blood #1)
by Marie Treanor
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: NAL
Release Date: September 7, 2010

“Is Evil in the eye of the beholder?”

Author Summary

Scottish academic Elizabeth Silk is spending the summer in Romania researching historical superstitions for her PhD. While she is tracing local folktales, one subject in particular sparks her imagination. His name is Saloman, legend's most powerful vampire, a seductive prince staked centuries ago. Now, in the ruins of a castle crypt, Elizabeth discovers the legends are real. Her blood has awakened him. Her innocence has aroused him. But Elizabeth unleashes more than Saloman's hunger.
An army of vampire hunters has amassed to send Saloman back to hell. Sworn to help - yet fearing Saloman's deadly blood lust - Elizabeth seeks to entrap him, offering her body as bait. But something stronger than dread, more powerful than revenge, is uniting Elizabeth to her prey. Caught between desire and rage, Elizabeth must decide where her loyalties lie...and what the limits are to a yearning she can no longer control.




My Thoughts

My first thought is how refreshing it is that we have a vampire tale based in the old world of Romania and Hungary that brings us back to its origins.  It has been a while. 



The main characters are complicated.  Their obstacles are staggering and the situation is further twisted by many external influences.  Our heroine, Elizabeth, is seemingly apathetic and content to dedicate her life to her research.  Then discovers a hidden passion that leads to heartbreaking inner struggles.



After an imprisonment of more than 300 years, Saloman awakens eager to exact vengeance on those responsible. Not surprising.  He finds the new world appealing but at the same time morally corrupt, strife with famine and overrun with violence and prejudice.  He’s certain he can make a change that will help vampires and humans alike.  Only thing is he wants to achieve this by taking over the world.  


For this reason, we question is it evil?  Well, it depends on how you look at it.  Evil is in the eye of the beholder.

Elizabeth doesn’t agree that he should get to decide who lives and who dies.  Therein lies the difficulty this couple must overcome.  Her mind is at odds with her heart.  (A position I would imagine most of us found ourselves in at some point in our lives.)

Although, Elizabeth refuses to accept it, they love each other.  To quote his words as they share a night of passion:

“And if I have learned anything over the millennia, it is this: that in love, only the moment matters.”…”For this moment, this night, Elizabeth, I love you.”

I have to say I was unhinged with that scene, and in my opinion, the novel is worth the read for that scene alone. 

The epilogue leaves us with a very intriguing scene that will certainly entice me to pick up the next novel in this series (Blood Sin).

My Viewpoint
My opinion is that this novel has a:
·      Major bad boy hero,
·      Strong-willed heroine,
·      Relationship that has challenging times ahead,
·      Quests for power, and
·      Good vs. bad theme. 
That’s enough for me to pick up the next in the series! 

Happy reading! 

4 Bad Boys – Loved It!!!!



2 comments:

  1. What a great review hon. I have this book on my wishlist. It almost reminds me of the book I am reading now, The Demon Lover, but not much similarities. I am so with you, I love modern day vampires, but i is nice finding books that go back to the origins. I think it is a nice reminder actually. Saloman sounds like a dream, definitely look forward to meeting him. You should read Avenger's Angel by Heather Killough0 Walden. I would love to see your take on Samael LOL! Great review hon, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Diana!! I still love our modern day vamps too. I mean Bones, Wrath, Viscious, Ethan... *here's me swooning* i will definitely read HKW's Avenger's Angel. She is one of my favourite authors. I LOVE her Big Bad Wolf series! I hear she is working on the sequel to The Chosen Soul now. can't wait for that one as well! thanks again luv!!

    ReplyDelete